More than 60 per cent of Bexhill and Battle’s adults have now had their Covid vaccination with MP, Huw Merriman saying the towns are ‘leading the way’.
As of March 14th, 52,194 people in the constituency had been vaccinated – the tenth highest number of people in any parliamentary constituency in the country. Notably, this area has the third highest number in the country of those aged 75-79 and 70-74 vaccinated, and the fourth highest number of over 80s.
Across Sussex, in just 100 days since the start of the vaccination programme locally 800,000 jabs have been given. From this week, eligibility opened up to people aged over 50 who will be contacted when it is their time for an appointment. In Rural Rother 32 per cent of the 50-54-year-old cohort have already received their first vaccination.
Mr Merriman says: “I am delighted that our area is leading the way in the uptake and delivery of Covid vaccinations. This outstanding feat has been down to the remarkable work of the Sussex Clinical Commissioning Group, the Sussex Community Partnership Trust, and our local NHS vaccination teams and volunteers, some of whom I have had the pleasure of personally thanking.
“From James Bowey at Etchingham Village Hall, to Dr Sarah Jacques at Heathfield Surgery, to Hardik Desai at Ticehurst Vaccine Centre and Dr Bhaskaran and the team of Bexhill GPs at Sidley Vaccine Centre and many many more, this has truly been an inspiring community initiative. I am sure residents will join me in making clear our eternal gratitude to all those involved in this life-saving programme.”
Local NHS teams are asking those who don’t already have a date for their second dose to be patient. Second vaccinations started in the constituency last week and patients will be contacted in the coming days and weeks to arrange their appointment, but this may not happen until ten to eleven weeks after their first appointment
As of March 14th, Bexhill and Battle has:
- The tenth highest number of people vaccinated in the country.
- The fourth highest number of over 80s vaccinated in the country (9,055).
- The third highest number of those aged 75-79 vaccinated in the country (6,485).
- The third highest number of those aged 70-74 vaccinated in the country (8,415).
- The fifteenth highest number of those aged 65-69 vaccinated in the country (6,734).
- The twelfth highest number of those aged 60-64 vaccinated in the country (6,638).
- The 180th highest number of those aged 55-59 vaccinated in the country (4,002).
- The 311th highest number of those aged under 55 vaccinated in the country (10,865).